Bringing Farm-Fresh to You: Can’t-Miss Delco Farmers Markets
July 1st, 2019
The term “farm-fresh” conjures up images of dewy spring mornings in the fields, hazy summer days choosing ripe produce and early fall’s final offerings. But did you know that you can shop for local goodies to whip up your own farm-to-table masterpieces year-round at many of Delco’s farmers markets?
We scouted around the county to discover where to get seasonal produce and were delighted to find that we can shop fresh during all 12 months. Sure, some of our favorites are open only seasonally, but that’s just another reason to branch out again when the weather is pleasant.
News flash: Farmers markets are much more than fruits, veggies and herbs. Today’s farmers markets may feature baked goods; meats, poultry, pork and more; cheeses; oils; coffee and tea; honey; flowers, Pennsylvania libations and artisan goods that range from jewelry to housewares and beyond. A few even also offer entertainment. Several take SNAP (food stamps), WIC, senior farmers market vouchers and/or Food Bucks. Check out each market’s website and come ready to shop!
Here are some of our favorite recipe collections in case you’re looking for many, many ways to use your fresh finds.
Check the schedule and get in on these fun events: Kid Day, Dog Day, Community Days, Fall Fest and a great entertainment lineup.
- Open Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., from May through October.
- Bonus market: Saturday before Thanksgiving.
- Winter market: Saturday, 10 a.m. to noon, from the Saturday before Christmas through April.
30 N. Lansdowne Ave., Lansdowne, (610) 220-1385.
One of the larger markets, Booths Corner includes clothing and accessories, jewelry, home decor, toys, games and videos, plus too many specialty vendors to name!
- Open Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., year-round.
1362 Naamans Creek Rd., Garnet Valley, (610) 485-0775.
You’ll want to watch the schedule for special events, including featured artists, musicians, kids’ events, community events and food trucks.
- Open Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m, from mid-May through early December.
121 Park Ave., Swarthmore, (610) 299-0904.
- Open Wednesday and Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., year-round. Select stands are open earlier for breakfast.
389 W. Lancaster Ave., Wayne, (610) 688-9856.
This market is run by the all-volunteer Haverford Township Farmers Market Association, a not-for-profit educational organization designed to encourage healthy eating, provide education for all ages about healthy living and support local farm, food and township businesses.
- Open Wednesday, 3 to 7 p.m., from mid-May to early September and 2 to 5 p.m., from mid-September to late November.
Grace Chapel parking lot, 1 W. Eagle Rd., Havertown, firstname.lastname@example.org.
A true family-centric market, Tinicum offers live entertainment, two playgrounds, a splash pad, a moon bounce, crafts and games.
- Open every other Wednesday, 4:30 to 7:30 p.m., from mid-June to early October.
Governor Printz Park, 101 Taylor Ave., Essington, (484) 436-1229.
This market includes firewood and smoking wood, gourmet items and gift baskets, and is part of all that Linvilla Orchards offers, such as season family fun and swim clubs, plus a garden center. Pressed for time? Shop online!
- Open every day, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., year-round.
137 W. Knowlton Rd., Media, (610) 876-7116.
Kids stay busy and engaged with a Kids’ Market Passport Program to encourage interest in the veggie of the week. Prizes may be earned, too!
- Open Sunday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., from the first Sunday in May to the Sunday before Thanksgiving.
- Winter market: First and third Sundays, 10 a.m. to noon, from December through April.
Edgemont St. between State St. and Front St., Media, email@example.com.
This market boasts a kid-friendly gift shop filled with toys, kitchen items, cards, candles, soaps and garden accessories.
- Open Monday to Saturday, 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., year-round.
- Watch its website for special holiday hours and early closings.
81 S. Pennell Rd., Media, (610) 566-1680.
Although some of the above farmers markets include organic — which we love — we’d also like to give a shout-out to this farm stand that brings all-organic, non-GMO and pesticide-free options to Delco in one spot:
Stop at this family-owned farm stand, or pick-your-own seasonal fruits and veggies. The setting is perfect for weddings and special events, too.
- Open every day, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., from mid-June to late October or early November.
- Watch the website for opening and closing dates, plus winter hours.
29 Copes Ln., Media, (610) 564-0794 or (610) 888-6969.
Want to know more about everything Delco? We’re more than just your source for good eats — we’re your source for where to stay, what to do and more in Delaware County, Pennsylvania. We’re the Destination Delco Tourism Bureau, and we’ve got you covered from Philly to the Brandywine. Find us at 1501 N. Providence Rd., Media, PA, 19063; (610) 565-3679 or online.