The Darby Friends Meeting House

Built in 1805, the Darby Friends Meeting House was designed in the prototypical doubled form of the late 18th century. It appears unaltered from its original design and includes significant intact architectural features such as the pent in gable end, and the doorway hood.  Most believe that anti-slavery sentiment in Darby started when parishioners John Blunston, Caleb Pusey, and others expressed concern about the practice of “importing, buying or selling Negros slaves” before a quarterly Quaker meeting. The Darby area’s ensuing involvement with helping slaves find freedom dates to 1787. In fact, then President George Washington once noted that Hercules, his cook, disappeared “somewhere between Philadelphia and Chester,” on his final trip back to Mt. Vernon.  Hercules was never recovered and most believe he had local help.  Photo Credit: ©Wikimedia Commons:  – Creative Commons CC0 License

Learn More

Special thanks to Keith Lockhart, Bob Seeley, Bill McDevitt, Harold Finnegan, Tom Smith, Karen Micha, Kate Clifford, Susan Mescanti, Carol Fireng, Leslie Potter, and Laurie Grant for sharing their knowledge, documents, articles, maps and photos with Visit Delco, PA.  Laurie Grant, Executive Director of the Delaware County Historical Society invites those seeking more information to visit their website. “Since 1895 DCHS remains true to its mission of Collecting, Protecting, and Preserving Delco history and tradition,” Laurie notes, “we also have a Museum Gallery, Research Library and Children’s Education Center.”